In some cases, your child may require a tooth extraction. A tooth extraction is an outpatient procedure performed at our Town ‘n’ Country, Bradenton, North Tampa and South Tampa Locations. This procedure involves the removal of a tooth from the mouth.
The most common causes for a tooth extraction are:
- Tooth decay that is too far progressed for restoration
- Making room for orthodontic treatment (Braces, Invisalign, etc)
- Baby teeth fail to fall out before the permanent teeth come in
- A chipped or damaged tooth from disease or trauma that is beyond repair
Does tooth extraction hurt?
We understand that tooth extractions can be scary, so we will only recommend this option as a last resort. To alleviate any tooth extraction pain or discomfort, we provide local anesthesia (laughing gas) for children with dental anxiety.
For children with minimal anxiety, we will suggest nitrous oxide (laughing gas), while those with signs of more severe anxiety may benefit from conscious sedation in the office. General anesthesia (asleep) is a good fit for longer procedures or for very young children.
To ensure safety and a comfortable climate for your child, a pediatric anesthesiologist will provide the anesthesia while our dental team performs the tooth extraction. If your child requires a tooth extraction, all options will be presented to you and thoroughly explained. Your peace of mind is our top priority!
Signs of dental anxiety are:
- Racing heartbeat
- Low blood pressure and or fainting
- Crying, visible distress or signs of panic
Tooth Extraction Healing Time
The tooth extraction healing time is typically 1-2 days. It is important to monitor your child until all numbness from the procedure has subsided and follow proper tooth extraction aftercare instructions:
- Make sure your child bites down on the gauze pad provided by your doctor to prevent any biting or chewing of the cheeks or tongue while numb.
- Prepare softer foods and make sure that your child stays hydrated.
- Keep your child's head elevated and relaxed while the clot forms on the extraction site.
- Maintain proper oral hygiene by brushing the areas around the extraction site.
- Use ice packs if needed to control swelling.
Tooth extraction bleeding should not occur after 24 hours. Your child should continue proper oral hygiene while remaining extremely careful around the area of the extraction. By following these tooth extraction aftercare steps, recovery from a tooth extraction should be relatively quick.
Tooth Extraction Cost
When a tooth extraction is needed, it's important to get it taken care of. To remove any barriers, we do our best to make tooth extractions affordable for you. While tooth extraction costs can vary depending on the case, we accept most insurance plans and will work with you regarding payment options. If you have any questions about tooth extraction cost, please contact our Bradenton or Tampa offices at (813) 889-0780.
Still have questions about tooth extraction?
If you feel that your child may need a tooth extraction, please don't hesitate to reach out to our team! We are happy to answer any questions you may have by phone call or virtual consultation.
Creating healthy smiles in a comfortable atmosphere is what's most important to us. In an effort to best serve you, we offer tooth extractions in all locations! We welcome you to schedule your evaluation in our Town 'n' Country, Bradenton, North Tampa or South Tampa office!
Strip crowns are tooth-colored caps that are placed on front teeth that develop cavities. These cover the entire tooth and are made of the same material as composite fillings.